C64 new joystick cables source

Would anybody know where one could find new C64 joystick cables,
preferably in USA!

Jameco used to but years ago they sold off Commodore items they used to
Have. 🙁  I asked Jameco a year ago they informed me of this?

RE: C64 new joystick cables source

MindFlareRetro

Hi Terry,

I think the simplest solution now is to buy a Sega Genesis controller extension cable (for example, http://amzn.to/2wlrBTI) and lop off the unneeded end – instant replacement cable.

Regards,

Mark

@MindFlareRetro

RE: C64 new joystick cables source

traymond
I see thanks.

Terry

On Aug 31, 2017 12:29 PM, "MindFlare Retro" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Terry,

I think the simplest solution now is to buy a Sega Genesis controller extension cable (for example, http://amzn.to/2wlrBTI) and lop off the unneeded end – instant replacement cable.

Regards,

Mark

@MindFlareRetro

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Wavestar

All you need is a female DB-9 (9-pin D-sub) connector and wires and an outer rubber cord sleeve for the individual wires. Jameco and just about everyone supplying wires and other electronic parts have those parts.

You should be able to use any sort out there.

However, I recommend this: http://amigastore.eu/en/333-mousejoystick-extension-cord-18m.html

Do keep in mind that there is every component out there to make such cables.

Also, there is 3d printing of the plastics stuff but you can use female 9-pin connectors used in RS-232 connectors. You can eliminate the metal tabs as needed by using a jeweler's saw or dremel or other tools.

Jameco, Mouser, and most electronics manufacturers have such connectors fairly easily. In fact, they are quite good quality connectors to use.

Anyway. I hope that helps.

On August 31, 2017 at 11:20 AM Terry Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Would anybody know where one could find new C64 joystick cables,
preferably in USA!

Jameco used to but years ago they sold off Commodore items they used to
Have. 🙁  I asked Jameco a year ago they informed me of this?

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Anders Carlsson
Wavestar Interactive wrote:

> All you need is a female DB-9 (9-pin D-sub) connector and wires and an
> outer rubber cord sleeve for the individual wires. Jameco and just about
> everyone supplying wires and other electronic parts have those parts.

I must say that sounds like rather expensive cables, compared to the advice
to buy Chinese Genesis knockoff controllers.

> Also, there is 3d printing of the plastics stuff

Oooh! That would make the cables even more expensive! I'm all for 3D
printing of items you can't find cheaper elsewhere or something you need
right now and where letting your supposedly available printer chugging along
for a few hours is faster than waiting for a delivery, but 3D printing
female DE9 connectors or just the housings sounds like turning a cheap
solution to replace old joystick cables into a rather expensive one.

Best regards

Anders Carlsson

* On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 10:56:28AM +0200 Anders Carlsson wrote:
> Wavestar Interactive wrote:
>
> >All you need is a female DB-9 (9-pin D-sub) connector and wires and an
> >outer rubber cord sleeve for the individual wires. Jameco and just about
> >everyone supplying wires and other electronic parts have those parts.
>
> I must say that sounds like rather expensive cables, compared to the advice
> to buy Chinese Genesis knockoff controllers.

Why not just use a RS232 DB9 extension cable? That should work without
problems. Just remove the correct side and use it to solder the joystick
to.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Wavestar

Yes, the Chinese knockoffs might be available for a little while but yes it can be gotten. Spiro, the reason for not using an RS232 extension cable might have something to do with pinout including TX on Side "A" connected to RX on Side "B" and RX on Side "A" connected to RX on Side "B". You can't have the cables wired wrong.

Actually, it isn't that expensive.

It's all available. The point was, the person has choices. I did mention about the Amigastore.eu site that has those cables.

http://amigastore.eu/en/333-mousejoystick-extension-cord-18m.html

There is all kinds of sources. Either you can either get the connectors and wires and wire it up or you can one pre-made.

On September 1, 2017 at 11:41 AM Spiro Trikaliotis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

  • On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 10:56:28AM +0200 Anders Carlsson wrote:

    Wavestar Interactive wrote:

    All you need is a female DB-9 (9-pin D-sub) connector and wires and an
    outer rubber cord sleeve for the individual wires. Jameco and just about
    everyone supplying wires and other electronic parts have those parts.

    I must say that sounds like rather expensive cables, compared to the advice
    to buy Chinese Genesis knockoff controllers.

Why not just use a RS232 DB9 extension cable? That should work without
problems. Just remove the correct side and use it to solder the joystick
to.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Wavestar

The point was saying there are options for making the specific plastic housing for the Atari style joystick. That's how the MIST ones were made. The price drops off if you go into bulk volume level stuff not just one-off cables otherwise you used the same plastic enclosure used by the RS-232 cables for 9-pin D-sub and the 9-pin D-sub connector. Then you get wires in bulk which can be used for all kinds of other electronic products as well. You can also steal the connector off an old 486 or something. The wire would be something like 18 to 22 gauge wire. Say: http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Belden-9577-9-Conductor-22-Gauge-SOLID-Unshielded-Cable-25-Foot-9C-22AWG/252197732889

That or http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-FT-18-Gauge-AWG-9-Conductor-Speed-Wire-Speaker-Trailer-100-Copper-Strands-/132122061799?hash=item1ec316abe7:g:6~oAAOSw4A5YnOXV

Then you just need one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DB9-female-9Pin-D-Sub-Connector-solderless-Terminal-Board-Plastic-Cover-screw-WB-/302270379788?epid=722080408&hash=item4660b7f70c:g:D7MAAOSw~oFXK5lm

You could get ones where you need to solder with the housing but they tend to be in quantities of 5 or 10 or so on ebay so you would want cable with 9-conductors. You could use 10 conductor cables but one would be unused or something. Anyway, you have choices.

Making it yourself is more expensive than the Chinese knockoffs but you can make multiples of high-quality connectors to sell as well, ready to be used and installed in joysticks that need rewiring.

If you get sufficient volume, price would drop off a bit.

On September 1, 2017 at 1:56 AM Anders Carlsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Den Fri, 1 Sep 2017 20:41:08 +0200 skrev Spiro Trikaliotis
<[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> * On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 10:56:28AM +0200 Anders Carlsson wrote:
> > Wavestar Interactive wrote:
> >
> > >All you need is a female DB-9 (9-pin D-sub) connector and wires
> > >and an outer rubber cord sleeve for the individual wires. Jameco
> > >and just about everyone supplying wires and other electronic parts
> > >have those parts.
> >
> > I must say that sounds like rather expensive cables, compared to
> > the advice to buy Chinese Genesis knockoff controllers.
>
> Why not just use a RS232 DB9 extension cable? That should work without
> problems. Just remove the correct side and use it to solder the
> joystick to.

Most RS232 cables have a metal shield. If you try to insert such
connector into the joystic port of a 80's home computer and you
misalign it slightly there is a big risk that the metal shield short
circuits pin 7 and 8 (which is 5V and ground). Poof, time to replace
the fuse in a C64 or maybe even something worse might happen.

All kinds of games that require using port 2 or port 1 on a C64, and
also all kinds of gamles that works best with a Tac-2 or best with a
Wico, means connecting and disconnecting joystics with power turned on.

(It might be a good idea to build a switch, or maybe rather make cables
to use a "pc" 4-1 25-pin dsub switch as they can still be found for
very little money).

* On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 05:38:44PM -0700 [hidden email] [hidden email] wrote:

>            Spiro, the reason for not using an RS232 extension cable might have
> something to do with pinout including TX on Side "A" connected to RX on Side
> "B" and RX on Side "A" connected to RX on Side "B". You can't have the cables
> wired wrong.

Please re-read what I wrote. I spoke about RS232 *extension* cables.
These are connected one-to-one.

Even if you use a regular RS232 cable, where TX and RX are crossed:
Where is the problem if you cut off one end? How should the crossing
persist then?

The only possible problem I see (despite the metal shield, which is a
good point by Mia) is that you get a cable without handshaking
lines, that is, these have pins 2, 3 and 5 connected only.

Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

> On 2017-09-02, at 02:38, [hidden email] [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Spiro, the reason for not using an RS232 extension cable might have something to do with pinout including TX on Side "A" connected to RX on Side "B" and RX on Side "A" connected to RX on Side "B". You can't have the cables wired wrong.

Whether it's a null-modem cable or straight wired doesn't matter when you chop one of the plugs off.

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Mike Stein

> On 2017-09-02, at 02:38, [hidden email] [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Spiro, the reason for not using an RS232 extension cable might have something to do with pinout including TX on Side "A" connected to RX on Side "B" and RX on Side "A" connected to RX on Side "B". You can't have the cables wired wrong.

Whether it's a null-modem cable or straight wired doesn't matter when you chop one of the plugs off.

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Wavestar
True provide you don't criss-cross. The outer shield of the RS-232 connector should not be an issue.

smf

On 03/09/2017 08:15, [hidden email] [hidden email] wrote:

True provide you don't criss-cross. The outer shield of the RS-232 connector should not be an issue.

If you are blindly trying to find the hole and have the connector at an angle, then you can hit every pin at once with the corner of the connector. The c64 probably won't like that.

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Wavestar

Really?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zFjagrEWp-0/maxresdefault.jpg

Even the VIC-20 and also the C-128 can be found with joystick ports with the metal outside shield instead of all plastic. I've even seen

Even Dave Brown's flight simulator had the female metal outside shield DB9 versus the black plastic connector. Never had a problem. Never shorted the whole bottom row of pins.

Then again, it is never a bright idea to try to plug in stuff blindly trying to find the hole. That starts to sound like a personal problem I don't want to get into. :-P

There is the idea of hooking up TWO joysticks instead of trying to swap ports.

Problem solved on that issue.

On 04/09/2017 11:40, [hidden email] [hidden email] wrote:

Then again, it is never a bright idea to try to plug in stuff blindly trying to find the hole. That starts to sound like a personal problem I don't want to get into. :-P

It's human nature, have you not heard of USB superpositioning?

http://i.imgur.com/yyEwOHK.png

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Am Montag, 4. September 2017, 12:20:29 CEST schrieben Sie:
> On 03/09/2017 08:15, [hidden email]
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > True provide you don't criss-cross. The outer shield of the RS-232
> > connector should not be an issue.
> If you are blindly trying to find the hole and have the connector at an
> angle, then you can hit every pin at once with the corner of the
> connector. The c64 probably won't like that.

i have accidently killed a VIC20 (well, the VIC chip) by doing that last week.
BAAAAAH

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Wenn man ein zweite Chance im Leben bekommt, sollte man immer daran denken das
man seine erste bereits versaut hat.

groepaz wrote:

>> If you are blindly trying to find the hole and have the connector at an
>> angle, then you can hit every pin at once with the corner of the
>> connector. The c64 probably won't like that.
>
> i have accidently killed a VIC20 (well, the VIC chip) by doing that last
> week.
> BAAAAAH

I'm sorry for your loss. If you had been buying knockoff Genesis controllers
at $2 each including shipping from China instead of repurposing RS-232
cables at $7 each, the short circuit would be less likely to happen.

I know which solution I would prefer, financially and practically, even if
it is not Made in the U.S.A.

Best regards

Anders Carlsson

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Groepaz
Am Montag, 4. September 2017, 14:14:09 CEST schrieben Sie:

> groepaz wrote:
> >> If you are blindly trying to find the hole and have the connector at an
> >> angle, then you can hit every pin at once with the corner of the
> >> connector. The c64 probably won't like that.
> >
> > i have accidently killed a VIC20 (well, the VIC chip) by doing that last
> > week.
> > BAAAAAH
>
> I'm sorry for your loss. If you had been buying knockoff Genesis controllers
> at $2 each including shipping from China instead of repurposing RS-232
> cables at $7 each, the short circuit would be less likely to happen.

you know what makes it even worse? i _have_ proper cables without metal shield
laying around. AAAAAARGS ;_;

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org

Leute, es muss mehr gesoffen werden!
<Theodor Heuss>

Re: C64 new joystick cables source

Justin-2
I think it would be easy enough to print a plastic sleeve to replace the metal one on an SLA printer like a Form 2.  Then we could just pry the metal shell off the end and glue on a plastic one.  I’m happy to do test prints if someone with the appropriate skill wants to model it.

Justin

> On Sep 4, 2017, at 08:25, [hidden email] wrote:

>>> i have accidently killed a VIC20 (well, the VIC chip) by doing that last
>>> week.
>>> BAAAAAH
>>
>> I'm sorry for your loss. If you had been buying knockoff Genesis controllers
>> at $2 each including shipping from China instead of repurposing RS-232
>> cables at $7 each, the short circuit would be less likely to happen.
>
> you know what makes it even worse? i _have_ proper cables without metal shield
> laying around. AAAAAARGS ;_;
>
> --
>
> http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
> http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ar.pokefinder.org