C128 parts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

C128 parts

traymond
Hi 
I didn't get any replies
Is there any eBay sellers that sell the following C128 parts?

Square power socket (where power source plugs into C128)
Right angle power switch

Need these I know either of these could be faulty on my Flat NTSC C128

Terry Raymond
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts

Taxidriver
I recall You can use a Power switch from a C64 ... a quick search showed


Don't know about square power socket

Cheers
Andy

Sent from my iPhone

On 27 Jun 2017, at 16:10, Terry Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi 
I didn't get any replies
Is there any eBay sellers that sell the following C128 parts?

Square power socket (where power source plugs into C128)
Right angle power switch

Need these I know either of these could be faulty on my Flat NTSC C128

Terry Raymond
smf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts

smf
In reply to this post by traymond
To rule out the switch, can't you just remove the switch and put wires
in it's place?

What have you tried so far to get to the switch or socket being the problem?


On 27/06/2017 16:10, Terry Raymond wrote:

> Hi
> I didn't get any replies
> Is there any eBay sellers that sell the following C128 parts?
>
> Square power socket (where power source plugs into C128)
> Right angle power switch
>
> Need these I know either of these could be faulty on my Flat NTSC C128
>
> Terry Raymond
>


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts

Clockmeister
In reply to this post by traymond
Surely testing either of those with a multimeter to is trivial?


On 27/06/2017 11:10 PM, Terry Raymond wrote:

> Hi
> I didn't get any replies
> Is there any eBay sellers that sell the following C128 parts?
>
> Square power socket (where power source plugs into C128)
> Right angle power switch
>
> Need these I know either of these could be faulty on my Flat NTSC C128
>
> Terry Raymond
>


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts

Mike Stein
In reply to this post by smf
Should be trivial to check the voltages; you should see 5V across the 74LS chips (diagonally, pin 16-8 or 14-7), around 9V across the big cap C106, 12V across the center and right pin of the 12V regulator U59 etc.

If not, work your way back to the power supply.

m
----- Original Message -----
From: "smf" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: C128 parts


> To rule out the switch, can't you just remove the switch and put wires
> in it's place?
>
> What have you tried so far to get to the switch or socket being the problem?
>
>
> On 27/06/2017 16:10, Terry Raymond wrote:
>> Hi
>> I didn't get any replies
>> Is there any eBay sellers that sell the following C128 parts?
>>
>> Square power socket (where power source plugs into C128)
>> Right angle power switch
>>
>> Need these I know either of these could be faulty on my Flat NTSC C128
>>
>> Terry Raymond
>>
>
>
>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: C128 parts

Jeremy-2
In reply to this post by traymond
Terry have check the fuse on the 128 in the power supply?



Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------
From: Terry Raymond <[hidden email]>
Date: 6/26/2017 8:19 AM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: C128 parts

Hi,

I'm looking for C128 components 
Power Switch and power socket (square connector)
Are there still any eBay sellers that have these parts?

Narrowed my C128 powerup problem to these two components (fingers crossed)

Terry Raymond

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts

traymond
In reply to this post by Mike Stein
Okay.

What pins on the power switch can I jumper? 

I did get the two suggestions from Ray Carlsen in U.S. about the
power socket (where the power source plugs into the Motherboard)
Power switch.

Ray mentioned at least the power switch supports 2 different voltages, if something on the pins, solder joints etc is messed up etc,
this can affect these two voltages the C128 needs to power up.

I will check all the points you mention Mike.  I did already check U59 Regulator it is getting 12V.

See what readings are there and report back again.

Terry Raymond

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Mike Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Should be trivial to check the voltages; you should see 5V across the 74LS chips (diagonally, pin 16-8 or 14-7), around 9V across the big cap C106, 12V across the center and right pin of the 12V regulator U59 etc.

If not, work your way back to the power supply.

m
----- Original Message -----
From: "smf" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: C128 parts


> To rule out the switch, can't you just remove the switch and put wires
> in it's place?
>
> What have you tried so far to get to the switch or socket being the problem?
>
>
> On 27/06/2017 16:10, Terry Raymond wrote:
>> Hi
>> I didn't get any replies
>> Is there any eBay sellers that sell the following C128 parts?
>>
>> Square power socket (where power source plugs into C128)
>> Right angle power switch
>>
>> Need these I know either of these could be faulty on my Flat NTSC C128
>>
>> Terry Raymond
>>
>
>
>       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts

Marko Mäkelä
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 03:17:00PM -0600, Terry Raymond wrote:
>What pins on the power switch can I jumper?

I think that you can use an ohm meter to measure the resistance between
all pairs of pins, in both the ON and OFF position of the switch. This
is obviously without any power cable connected. Ignore any readings that
are above some tens of ohms. If the connection is good, it should be
very close to zero ohms.

If the switch indeed is a problem (say, there is some dirt or corrosion
inside), the resistance could vary when you are gently rocking the
switch in the ON position.

When it comes to the power connector, I think that the only possible
failure mode should be corrosion or mechanical damage, or a bad
soldering on the circuit board. You could add some new solder and flux
and then measure the resistance between the circuit board and the pins
on the outside. I think it should be more likely that the power cord
from the power supply is damaged, for example if the cable has been bent
heavily. Have you checked the power supply with another machine?

>I will check all the points you mention Mike.  I did already check U59
>Regulator it is getting 12V.

Did you measure all voltages on the power connector solder pads on the
circuit board? Do the voltages remain stable if you gently rock the
switch in the ON position or if you bend the power cord near the
connector or the brick?

        Marko

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts + mailing list rules/bugs?

MiaM
In reply to this post by smf
Den Tue, 27 Jun 2017 16:35:52 +0100 skrev smf <[hidden email]>:
> To rule out the switch, can't you just remove the switch and put
> wires in it's place?

Or even just put wires on the solder side of the PCB while having the
switch in place?


P.S. is there some ruleset on the mailing list that makes mails bounce
if the ratio of quoted v.s. not quoted content is not good enough?

Such rule just forces people to add a gigantic signature blob at the
end or just add dummy text to the posts.

I tried to send the message above at Wed, 28 Jun 2017 02:28:23 +0200
and about 24 hours later at Thu, 29 Jun 2017 02:40:53 +0200 I got a
bounce from my local ISP:s mailer daemon that said:

  This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

   * [hidden email]

Reason: Internal Message ID : Q0qOdMEuV5VdQQ0qOd318E


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts + mailing list rules/bugs?

silverdr-2

> On 2017-06-29, at 12:23, Mia Magnusson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> P.S. is there some ruleset on the mailing list that makes mails bounce
> if the ratio of quoted v.s. not quoted content is not good enough?

Don't think so. But there are some rules. AFAIR your mail server has to resolve properly both forward and reverse. And I think messages with attachments are also rejected but I never tried ;-)

--
SD! - http://e4aws.silverdr.com/


       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: C128 parts

traymond
In reply to this post by Marko Mäkelä
Already have checked fuse in power source.
At one point the fuse was blowing.
I replaced the Full Wave Bridge Rectifier, fuse quit blowing.

I may have found a very simple problem with the power switch maybe just 
an issue with solder joints I'm hoping.

Terry Raymond

On Jun 29, 2017 3:10 AM, "Marko Mäkelä" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 03:17:00PM -0600, Terry Raymond wrote:
What pins on the power switch can I jumper?

I think that you can use an ohm meter to measure the resistance between all pairs of pins, in both the ON and OFF position of the switch. This is obviously without any power cable connected. Ignore any readings that are above some tens of ohms. If the connection is good, it should be very close to zero ohms.

If the switch indeed is a problem (say, there is some dirt or corrosion inside), the resistance could vary when you are gently rocking the switch in the ON position.

When it comes to the power connector, I think that the only possible failure mode should be corrosion or mechanical damage, or a bad soldering on the circuit board. You could add some new solder and flux and then measure the resistance between the circuit board and the pins on the outside. I think it should be more likely that the power cord from the power supply is damaged, for example if the cable has been bent heavily. Have you checked the power supply with another machine?

I will check all the points you mention Mike.  I did already check U59 Regulator it is getting 12V.

Did you measure all voltages on the power connector solder pads on the circuit board? Do the voltages remain stable if you gently rock the switch in the ON position or if you bend the power cord near the connector or the brick?

        Marko

      Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Loading...