Batteries Included BusCard II

Marko Mäkelä-2
Maybe I should tell Bill to subscribe to this list.  Can anyone help him
with the printer adapter?

        Marko

Commodore PET find

Geoff Oltmans
Hahahahah! It's MINE, ALL MINE!!!

Here's what I ended up with:

A PET 8032 (64K RAM)
8250 drive unit
4040 drive unit
MSD SD-2 Drive Unit
Tractor Printer 4032.

All for the grand total of $25.00!

Unfortunately I neither have the IEEE-488 cables needed to hook all the
peripherals to the computer, and nothing comes up on the screen. When I
turn it on, I hear a warble from the internal speaker, and
then...nothing. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Oh yeah, curious enough, it doesn't appear to have a standard set of
ROM's in it. There's one with a paper label on it which says: "Oracle
(C) V3.03" and another which says "Paperclip 2.8 (C) expanded)" Any
ideas on what these are???

If one of you PET people could help, I'd be happy.

Yeah! I got a PET! :)

*Geoff!*
-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

Re: Commodore PET find

Willi Kusche
Hi!

    First of all, the 8032 has only 32K of RAM.  Video RAM lives at $8000.
The BASIC, screen editor and kernel logic live in ROMs at $B000 to $FFFF.  The
8032 has sockets for two 4K ROMs at $9000 and $A000.  Those Oracle and
Paperclip ROMs must be in the $9000 and $A000 sockets.
    Whenever one of my PETs won't boot up properly, carefully removing and
re-inserting all socketed chips usually fixes the problem.  But you're getting
the startup chirp so it sounds as if your problem is in the video circuitry.

Willi

-

Willi Kusche wrote:

> Hi!
>
>     First of all, the 8032 has only 32K of RAM.  Video RAM lives at $8000.
> The BASIC, screen editor and kernel logic live in ROMs at $B000 to $FFFF.  The
> 8032 has sockets for two 4K ROMs at $9000 and $A000.  Those Oracle and
> Paperclip ROMs must be in the $9000 and $A000 sockets.
>     Whenever one of my PETs won't boot up properly, carefully removing and
> re-inserting all socketed chips usually fixes the problem.  But you're getting
> the startup chirp so it sounds as if your problem is in the video circuitry.

Well, this one has 64KB. No lie.

There's a little board that goes on top (with the CPU on it) has four
rows of 8 4116's. In my book, that's 64KB. :) So I guess looking at the
motherboard, that means I've got 96kb! :)

*Geoff!*
-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

Re: Commodore PET find

Andre Fachat
Geoff Oltmans wrote:

> Hahahahah! It's MINE, ALL MINE!!!
>
> Here's what I ended up with:
>
> A PET 8032 (64K RAM)
> 8250 drive unit
> 4040 drive unit
> MSD SD-2 Drive Unit
> Tractor Printer 4032.
>
> All for the grand total of $25.00!
>
> Unfortunately I neither have the IEEE-488 cables needed to hook all the
> peripherals to the computer, and nothing comes up on the screen. When I
> turn it on, I hear a warble from the internal speaker, and
> then...nothing. Any ideas on how to fix it?

If the "warble" is similar to the one you get from the VICE PET emulator,
than the CPU, RAM and ROM circuitry seem to be ok,
so it probably really is the video circuitry.

If you can connect the disk drives to the PET and blindly
enter 'LOAD"$",8' and the disk drive starts spinning, that
is a good indicator that only the video is broken.

Anyway, you can get some PET info, including links to schematics
on http://www.funet.fi/pub/cbm
and http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~fachat/8bit/petindex/petindex.html

> Oh yeah, curious enough, it doesn't appear to have a standard set of
> ROM's in it. There's one with a paper label on it which says: "Oracle
> (C) V3.03" and another which says "Paperclip 2.8 (C) expanded)" Any
> ideas on what these are???

Those ROMs were sometimes used as a programm extension and even
a kind of dongle - means you  have to have the ROM installed
to make the program run. It would be nice if you could
dump those ROMs and upload it to funet (well, if you like)
Probably someone has the disks to share with you to make those
programs work again.

Andre

--
Email address may be invalid. Use "fachat AT physik DOT tu-chemnitz DOT de"
------Fight SPAM - join CAUCE http://www.cauce.org------Thanks, spammers...

Geoff Oltmans wrote:

> Willi Kusche wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> >     First of all, the 8032 has only 32K of RAM.  Video RAM lives at $8000.
> > The BASIC, screen editor and kernel logic live in ROMs at $B000 to $FFFF.  The
> > 8032 has sockets for two 4K ROMs at $9000 and $A000.  Those Oracle and
> > Paperclip ROMs must be in the $9000 and $A000 sockets.
> >     Whenever one of my PETs won't boot up properly, carefully removing and
> > re-inserting all socketed chips usually fixes the problem.  But you're getting
> > the startup chirp so it sounds as if your problem is in the video circuitry.
>
> Well, this one has 64KB. No lie.
>
> There's a little board that goes on top (with the CPU on it) has four
> rows of 8 4116's. In my book, that's 64KB. :) So I guess looking at the
> motherboard, that means I've got 96kb! :)

So it seems you have a 8096 instead of a 8032. This model
uses an extension board to expand the RAM to 96, with a
special banking scheme. For this see the PET index at
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~fachat/8bit/petindex/petindex.html

But if it has, in addition to the RAM, a 6809 CPU and a 6551 ACIA
you have a SuperPET instead.

Andre

P.S.: Ahm, if you are able and willing to reverse-engineer the
schematics to this board... Ok, probably asking too much. It's just
one of the very few schematics missing on ftp.funet.fi/pub/cbm.

--
Email address may be invalid. Use "fachat AT physik DOT tu-chemnitz DOT de"
------Fight SPAM - join CAUCE http://www.cauce.org------Thanks, spammers...
Andre Fachat, Institute of physics, Technische Universität Chemnitz, FRG
                http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~fachat
-

Re: Commodore PET find

Larry Anderson
Geoff Oltmans wrote:

> Hahahahah! It's MINE, ALL MINE!!!
>
> Here's what I ended up with:
>
> A PET 8032 (64K RAM)

That would make it an 8096, 32k+64k.

> 8250 drive unit
> 4040 drive unit
> MSD SD-2 Drive Unit

cool! Those drives are great, both IEEE-488 and serial IEC in one unit.  Some
have a copy ROM in it to do unattended copying, though kinda rare to find one
so equipped.

> Tractor Printer 4032.
>
> All for the grand total of $25.00!

terrific price!

> Unfortunately I neither have the IEEE-488 cables needed to hook all the
> peripherals to the computer,

I think I can part with a PET->IEEE and one  IEEE->IEEE cable reasonably,
contact me if interested.

> and nothing comes up on the screen. When I
> turn it on, I hear a warble from the internal speaker, and
> then...nothing. Any ideas on how to fix it?

If it sounds like a 'jingle' type sound, that's a good thing, that's the bell
sound.  blind type ? chr$(7) (assuming the keyboard is clean) you should get
one 'jingle'.

Sorry not an electronics tech...  :(

Though I recall the PET monitors were being cleared out by liquidators as TTL
compatible; that might help.  Also if you are near a decent TV repair shop, it
wouldn't hurt to ask if they work on monitors, if they have anyone with TV
experience I think they could handle the PET display (assuming it is a monitor
problem and not a logic problem.)

> Oh yeah, curious enough, it doesn't appear to have a standard set of
> ROM's in it. There's one with a paper label on it which says: "Oracle
> (C) V3.03" and another which says "Paperclip 2.8 (C) expanded)" Any
> ideas on what these are???

Oracle is Delphi's Oracle later renamed as 'the Consultant' a very decent
flat-file commodore database.

Paperclip is a word processor also by Batteries included.

Both of those ROMs are the copy protection for their respective programs.

> If one of you PET people could help, I'd be happy.
>
> Yeah! I got a PET! :)

congradulations!

> Oh yeah, if it helps any...I've taken the back off of the monitor, and
> the tube does GLOW... hope that helps.

That's normal, all the PET monitors I've seen have glowing tubes in them.

--
01000011 01001111 01001101 01001101 01000100 01001111 01010010 01000101
Larry Anderson - Sysop of Silicon Realms BBS (209) 754-1363 - 2400 baud

Re: Commodore PET find

Geoff Oltmans
Andre Fachat wrote:

> > There's a little board that goes on top (with the CPU on it) has four
> > rows of 8 4116's. In my book, that's 64KB. :) So I guess looking at the
> > motherboard, that means I've got 96kb! :)
>
> So it seems you have a 8096 instead of a 8032. This model
> uses an extension board to expand the RAM to 96, with a
> special banking scheme. For this see the PET index at
> http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~fachat/8bit/petindex/petindex.html

Well, I'm not sure. The case indeed says 8032 on the front (as well as
the stamp on the back. The RAM board I spoke of has three connectors:
two small approx 6 wire connectors (to which there are attachments to
the motherboard at the rear and about two inches from the front), and
then a ribbon cable with a DIP connector that plugs into the 6502's
socket, and then the 6502 goes on top of this card.

Perhaps someone just stole the bits and pieces from an 8096? Or did they
actually relabel the 8096s?

I've located a place that sells 6545 CRT controllers (BG Micro) so I may
be able to fix it (if that's indeed the problem).

Are there any other "blind" tests I can do without the disk drives
plugged in? I don't have the IEEE cables I need to hook up the drives
yet.

Oh yeah, I think I read that these things had video output on one of the
connectors... is this composite video or what?

*Geoff!*
-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

Re: Commodore PET find

g.j.p.a.a.baltissen
Hallo Geoff,

> Well, this one has 64KB. No lie.

> There's a little board that goes on top (with the CPU on it) has four
> rows of 8 4116's. In my book, that's 64KB. :) So I guess looking at the
> motherboard, that means I've got 96kb! :)

Congratulations first for getting your C=s.

Thanks for answering two of my four questions. I have a loose 64 KB expansion
board but haven't found the time yet to test due to two reasons:
1) I wasn't sure where to hook up the 40 pin connector (but my fair guess was
the 6502)
2) one RAM-IC was missing and the code was complete unfamiliar

The last two questions are:
1) do I need extra SW (or ROMs) to make real use of the expansion? I gues the
original BASIC does not see the expansion.
2) what is the onboard Motorola-chip MC3242AP? I guess a PLA but does anybody
know for sure and does anybody know the pinouts?

Thanks for answering the above questions.

Groetjes, Ruud

-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

Re: Commodore PET find

Sam Laur
> 2) one RAM-IC was missing and the code was complete unfamiliar

Well what was the code? I've seen many different codes for 16 kb DRAMs, it's
probably these that the board has.

> 2) what is the onboard Motorola-chip MC3242AP? I guess a PLA but does anybody
> know for sure and does anybody know the pinouts?

I tried to search for the chip in many places but no luck. Even Motorola
didn't have it on-line, just in "fax-back" documents... having no fax, I'm
out of luck.

But I did find something interesting when browsing through all sorts of
chip directories. Remember the C-64 PLA? Formerly 82S100, now it's named
PLS100 by Philips. These parts are really expensive, as you may have noticed.
I found a source for the Russian equivalent, which costs 2.90 Swiss francs
in lots of 10 or more. Of course there's the problem of different hole
pitches, 2.5 mm vs. the Western (inch-based) 2.54 mm.

-

Ruud Baltissen wrote:
> Hallo Geoff,
>
> > Well, this one has 64KB. No lie.
>
> > There's a little board that goes on top (with the CPU on it) has four
> > rows of 8 4116's. In my book, that's 64KB. :) So I guess looking at the
> > motherboard, that means I've got 96kb! :)
>
> Congratulations first for getting your C=s.

Yeah, congrats from me too :-)

And about the 8096: The 8096 was actually an expansion board
to the 8032, so I guess you got a 8032 that has probably
only later been expanded.

> Thanks for answering two of my four questions. I have a loose 64 KB expansion
> board but haven't found the time yet to test due to two reasons:
> 1) I wasn't sure where to hook up the 40 pin connector (but my fair guess was
> the 6502)
> 2) one RAM-IC was missing and the code was complete unfamiliar

I guess that this indeed is a 8096 expansion.

> The last two questions are:
> 1) do I need extra SW (or ROMs) to make real use of the expansion? I gues the
> original BASIC does not see the expansion.

You should be able to use the same LOS-96 that you can use
with the 8296.
On the LOS96 disks there is a test program for the additional RAM.

> 2) what is the onboard Motorola-chip MC3242AP? I guess a PLA but does anybody
> know for sure and does anybody know the pinouts?

Sorry, no idea. Probably it is possible to reverse-engineer
the type from the schematics.

Andre

--
Email address may be invalid. Use "fachat AT physik DOT tu-chemnitz DOT de"
------Fight SPAM - join CAUCE http://www.cauce.org------Thanks, spammers...
Andre Fachat, Institute of physics, Technische Universität Chemnitz, FRG
                http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~fachat
-

Re: Commodore PET find

Dave R.

At 11:41 AM 1/30/99 +0200, you wrote:
>I tried to search for the chip in many places but no luck. Even Motorola
>didn't have it on-line, just in "fax-back" documents... having no fax, I'm
>out of luck.

Well, what's the # for the fax-back?  If it's from their Chicago offices,
it's a local call for me.  Hell, I could probably stop there on the way to
school and pester them in person :)

I'd have to install my FAX software again, but you're interested, I can get
the info & send it your way.

  :::::       Dave Ross / Dr. Watson          "Yesterday's technology
 ::     ===   [hidden email]                   today...for a better
 ::     ===                                    tomorrow!"
  :::::       http://www.mcs.com/~watson
-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

SUCCESS (was re: Commodore PET Find)

Geoff Oltmans
Well, I got the replacement 6545's in the mail the other day, and the
PET is now fully functional! Thanks to all those that helped me figure
out the problem. :)

Not bad for a $3.00 repair. heheheh

Now for the more immediate problem. Is there are wiring chart that shows
how to make IEEE-488 cables? The connectors are available locally here,
and I've got a good parallel centronics cable that I'm willing to hack
for the cable.

Thanks!

*Geoff!*
-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

Re: SUCCESS (was re: Commodore PET Find)

Larry Anderson
Geoff Oltmans wrote:

> Well, I got the replacement 6545's in the mail the other day, and the
> PET is now fully functional! Thanks to all those that helped me figure
> out the problem. :)
>
> Not bad for a $3.00 repair. heheheh
>
> Now for the more immediate problem. Is there are wiring chart that shows
> how to make IEEE-488 cables? The connectors are available locally here,
> and I've got a good parallel centronics cable that I'm willing to hack
> for the cable.
>
> Thanks!
>
> *Geoff!*
> -
> This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
> To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

I have a wiring diagram in my PET FAQ at:

http://www.jps.net/foxnhare/petfaq.html

You may want to consider getting the proper connectors from your source
locally or from digikey ( http://www.digikey.com/ ) they are relatively
inexpensive (they also have the 12/24 edgeboard connectors!)

Also I have a PET->IEEE and IEEE-IEEE I could part with...
--
01000011 01001111 01001101 01001101 01000100 01001111 01010010 01000101
Larry Anderson - Sysop of Silicon Realms BBS (209) 754-1363 - 2400 baud
  Commodore 8-bit page at: http://www.jps.net/foxnhare/commodore.html
01000011 01001111 01001101 01010000 01010101 01010100 01000101 01010011
-

Re: SUCCESS (was re: Commodore PET Find)

Chris Bongaarts
In the immortal words of Geoff Oltmans:

>Now for the more immediate problem. Is there are wiring chart that shows
>how to make IEEE-488 cables? The connectors are available locally here,
>and I've got a good parallel centronics cable that I'm willing to hack
>for the cable.

You might have to roll your own pet-ieee cables, but ieee-ieee are
probably more common (since they are identical to the HP-IB/GP-IB bus
cables used by Hewlett-Packard equipment).  I actually used an HP/IB
cable to connect an MSD disk to my SFD1001, and it worked just fine.

%% Chris Bongaarts    %% [hidden email]  %% http://umn.edu/~cab
%% Univ of Minnesota  %% CBongo on EFnet IRC  %% Stop Plate Tectonics!
-

Chris Bongaarts wrote:

> In the immortal words of Geoff Oltmans:
>
> >Now for the more immediate problem. Is there are wiring chart that shows
> >how to make IEEE-488 cables? The connectors are available locally here,
> >and I've got a good parallel centronics cable that I'm willing to hack
> >for the cable.
>
> You might have to roll your own pet-ieee cables, but ieee-ieee are
> probably more common (since they are identical to the HP-IB/GP-IB bus
> cables used by Hewlett-Packard equipment).  I actually used an HP/IB
> cable to connect an MSD disk to my SFD1001, and it worked just fine.

Well, I did just that today! I've got a working IEEE-488 cable done now.
Now all I need is to get some cool software. Anything anyone recommends
that I should have? Especially along the lines of an Assembler program.

Later!

*Geoff!*
-

Geoff Oltmans wrote:

> Chris Bongaarts wrote:
> >
> > You might have to roll your own pet-ieee cables, but ieee-ieee are
> > probably more common (since they are identical to the HP-IB/GP-IB bus
> > cables used by Hewlett-Packard equipment).  I actually used an HP/IB
> > cable to connect an MSD disk to my SFD1001, and it worked just fine.
>
> Well, I did just that today! I've got a working IEEE-488 cable done now.
> Now all I need is to get some cool software. Anything anyone recommends
> that I should have? Especially along the lines of an Assembler program.

Well there is Micromon, Extramon and Supermon for easily findable.  There is
the Commodore M.A.E. if you can locate it. HES software did one... MAE is
probbaly the best of what I've seen.

This is the 8032 you posted about earlier, right?  Then you should get the
program called 4032, which lets the machine run 40 column mode programs.

go to:

http://www.funet.fi/pub/cbm/pet/index.html

And check out their libraries...  make sure to get the pet-2001.zoo archive,
alot of great games on that one.  :)

If you can get the ROM image and a EPROMMER you should install a programmer's
toolkit in your PET makes BASIC programming a bit more easier.