Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Ethan Dicks
Hi, All,

I'm after some of the "a" disks in the ICPUG library.  Micromon and
Basic Aid, so I can check my ROM images from my 2001N/3032 (I recently
found a floppy I never imaged that happens to have copies of my
venerable PET's firmware, including PET Rabbit in ROM).

I easily found indices of the ICPUG disks, so I know I want a2, a3,
etc., but the old download links don't work - not surprising since
these were put online almost 20 years ago.

I'm happy to receive a big zip file of all the ICPUG disks, but a
fresh download link would be just fine.

Thanks!

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Ruud
Hallo Ethan,

This is what I have, but I don't know what they contain:

   http://www.baltissen.org/zip/ICPUG.zip

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Ethan Dicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> I'm after some of the "a" disks in the ICPUG library.  Micromon and
> Basic Aid, so I can check my ROM images from my 2001N/3032

Second request.  Ruud sent me some ICPUG files, but not the "a" set.
Anyone have those?

Micromon and Basic Aid files.

Thanks!

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Bill Degnan
what does ICPUG stand for?  International Commodore People...

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:02 AM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> what does ICPUG stand for?  International Commodore People...

I'm going to go with International Commodore Pet User Group.

The lists of their disks are online but the download links are to a
defunct tripod site.

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Bill Degnan
I don't know and I have not checked, but I wonder if that CD the TCUG was selling has the same or most of the same files as what ICPUG had.  I have a copy of the CD and off the PET directory:

PET-->O-Old PET 1979
      --->P-New PET 1983
      --->S-Super PET

The files are all in D64 format, not sure who made them (2007/2008) or what is on them.  The file names are like (o)a1.d64, (o)a2.d64, etc.  Obviously you'd need a way to move files from D64 to PET, either emulated or on actual hardware.  I have a lot of cassette tapes mostly for PET, not as many disks unless I moved cassette to disk myself for convenience.

Bill

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 10:59 AM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know and I have not checked, but I wonder if that CD the TCUG was selling

Sorry, I meant TPUG (Toronto PET User Group

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 10:59 AM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know and I have not checked, but I wonder if that CD the TCUG was
> selling has the same or most of the same files as what ICPUG had.

Could be, but there's no guarantee the names match between the two collections.

> The files are all in D64 format, not sure who made them (2007/2008) or what
> is on them.  The file names are like (o)a1.d64, (o)a2.d64, etc.

That's the right sort of name.  If you want to send me the oa1.d64
series (a1, a2...), that would be fantastic.

> Obviously
> you'd need a way to move files from D64 to PET, either emulated or on actual
> hardware.  I have a lot of cassette tapes mostly for PET, not as many disks
> unless I moved cassette to disk myself for convenience.

I have plenty of ways to get files to the PET.  The easiest is
ZoomFloppy to 1541 or 2031, then use the 2031 on the PET.  For what I
need to do, though, I just need the source files off of the disk
images to crosscompile and check binary contents of ROM images.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Ethan Dicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 10:59 AM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know and I have not checked, but I wonder if that CD the TCUG was
> selling has the same or most of the same files as what ICPUG had.

Could be, but there's no guarantee the names match between the two collections.

> The files are all in D64 format, not sure who made them (2007/2008) or what
> is on them.  The file names are like (o)a1.d64, (o)a2.d64, etc.

That's the right sort of name.  If you want to send me the oa1.d64
series (a1, a2...), that would be fantastic.

> Obviously
> you'd need a way to move files from D64 to PET, either emulated or on actual
> hardware.  I have a lot of cassette tapes mostly for PET, not as many disks
> unless I moved cassette to disk myself for convenience.

I have plenty of ways to get files to the PET.  The easiest is
ZoomFloppy to 1541 or 2031, then use the 2031 on the PET.  For what I
need to do, though, I just need the source files off of the disk
images to crosscompile and check binary contents of ROM images.

Ideally if you have a 4040 drive so you can read and use the output of the .d64 format directly.  Check vintagecomputer.net/commodore/pet_progs/
Bill

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Mike Naberezny
On 10/24/17 6:02 AM, william degnan wrote:
> what does ICPUG stand for?  International Commodore People...

The group was originally called IPUG ("Independent PET Users Group") and then
later became ICPUG ("Independent Commodore Products User Group").

You can see this on the front page of their newsletters:
http://6502.org/documents/publications/icpug/

Regards,
Mike

--
Mike Naberezny ([hidden email]) http://6502.org

On 10/24/17 7:34 AM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> The lists of their disks are online but the download links are to a
> defunct tripod site.

That website (http://petlibrary.tripod.com/) was maintained by Ken Ross, who
was active on this mailing list in the late 1990's.

Ken passed away in 2005:
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/features/051105fe.htm

Regards,
Mike

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Mike Naberezny <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/24/17 7:34 AM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>
>> The lists of their disks are online but the download links are to a
>> defunct tripod site.
>
> That website (http://petlibrary.tripod.com/) was maintained by Ken Ross, who
> was active on this mailing list in the late 1990's.

Ah.  Thanks for that.

> Ken passed away in 2005:
> http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/features/051105fe.htm

Oh.

Well Ken's tripod site has the index of the ICPUG disks, but the best
download link I could find is

http://freespace.virgin.net/ken.ross1/download

And that is dead.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ideally if you have a 4040 drive so you can read and use the output of the
> .d64 format directly.  Check vintagecomputer.net/commodore/pet_progs/

The 2031 works just fine, thanks, and is smaller than a 4040.

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Check vintagecomputer.net/commodore/pet_progs/

I think what I'm after is in there.  Thanks, Bill!

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Bill Degnan
Yes 2031 too....

Please advise when you have downloaded what you need so I can pull the files.  I believe they still use this as a fundraiser, there is no way that I can find to get the files directly from their web site.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 2:13 PM, william degnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please advise when you have downloaded what you need so I can pull the
> files.

Hi, Bill,

Go ahead.  Unfortunately for me though, a1 =/= a1 between the two
sets.  They both have "assembler" disks, but the contents are only
superficially similar - same types of utilities, but not file-for-file
identical.  One handy one in the ICPUG lists is a0, full of actual
assemblers, and I didn't find a similar disk image in the TPUG set.

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Den Tue, 24 Oct 2017 12:11:40 -0400 skrev Ethan Dicks
<[hidden email]>:
> Well Ken's tripod site has the index of the ICPUG disks, but the best
> download link I could find is
>
> http://freespace.virgin.net/ken.ross1/download

This seems to work. Downloaded all the A*-disks.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051201020459/http://freespace.virgin.net:80/ken.ross1/download/

It seems like 7-zip cannot unzip atleast A0LNX.ZIP but the buildt in
unzipper in Windows XP seems to work fine.

The ZIP files contains LNX files. There is a LYNX8017.ZIP which unzips
to a LYNX8017.GT which should be an executable file for PET with BASIC
4. Haven't tried that.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Mia Magnusson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den Tue, 24 Oct 2017 12:11:40 -0400 skrev Ethan Dicks
> <[hidden email]>:
>> Well Ken's tripod site has the index of the ICPUG disks, but the best
>> download link I could find is
>>
>> http://freespace.virgin.net/ken.ross1/download
>
> This seems to work. Downloaded all the A*-disks.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20051201020459/http://freespace.virgin.net:80/ken.ross1/download/

Yes!  Thanks!

> It seems like 7-zip cannot unzip atleast A0LNX.ZIP but the buildt in
> unzipper in Windows XP seems to work fine.

Windows application problems don't interest me.  Linux unzip handles
them just fine.

> The ZIP files contains LNX files. There is a LYNX8017.ZIP which unzips
> to a LYNX8017.GT which should be an executable file for PET with BASIC
> 4. Haven't tried that.

Yeah.  I see that.  That util does load at $0401 and appears to be
compiled BASIC (petspeed)

I did try using c1541 and its unlynx command, but it doesn't like the
files the way Ken Ross packed them.  They appear to have a BASIC stub
at the front telling you to use Lynx, which is likely confusing c1541
(I never did a lot with compressed files on Commodore machines - just
not enough savings to make it worth the hassle, like now).  Maybe
there's a way to trim them manually, but I'll probably just use VICE
and xpet to do the extraction.

But at least I have those disk images I was after and that's a
fantastic start.  Thanks for the archive.org link.  I get so few
binaries that way that I don't check there first.

Extracting Lynx archives

Marko Mäkelä
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 06:32:05PM -0400, Ethan Dicks wrote:

>> The ZIP files contains LNX files. There is a LYNX8017.ZIP which
>> unzips to a LYNX8017.GT which should be an executable file for PET
>> with BASIC 4. Haven't tried that.
>
>Yeah.  I see that.  That util does load at $0401 and appears to be
>compiled BASIC (petspeed)
>
>I did try using c1541 and its unlynx command, but it doesn't like the
>files the way Ken Ross packed them.  They appear to have a BASIC stub
>at the front telling you to use Lynx, which is likely confusing c1541
>(I never did a lot with compressed files on Commodore machines - just
>not enough savings to make it worth the hassle, like now).

I thought that it is the standard way how Lynx files work. It is an
uncompressed archive format that allows in-place operation. You could
just edit the next-sector pointers in-place to assemble or expand a Lynx
archive.

Did you try the -l option of my cbmconvert? It supports the Lynx format.

Re: Any source to download ICPUG disk images?

Den Wed, 25 Oct 2017 18:32:05 -0400 skrev Ethan Dicks
<[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Mia Magnusson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Den Tue, 24 Oct 2017 12:11:40 -0400 skrev Ethan Dicks
> > <[hidden email]>:
> >> Well Ken's tripod site has the index of the ICPUG disks, but the
> >> best download link I could find is
> >>
> >> http://freespace.virgin.net/ken.ross1/download
> >
> > This seems to work. Downloaded all the A*-disks.
> >
> > http://web.archive.org/web/20051201020459/http://freespace.virgin.net:80/ken.ross1/download/
>
> Yes!  Thanks!
>
> > It seems like 7-zip cannot unzip atleast A0LNX.ZIP but the buildt in
> > unzipper in Windows XP seems to work fine.
>
> Windows application problems don't interest me.  Linux unzip handles
> them just fine.

7-zip is afaik multiplatform :) I mentioned the problem because this
is almost never a problem and could be worth to know if someone else
runs into this.

> > The ZIP files contains LNX files. There is a LYNX8017.ZIP which
> > unzips to a LYNX8017.GT which should be an executable file for PET
> > with BASIC 4. Haven't tried that.
>
> Yeah.  I see that.  That util does load at $0401 and appears to be
> compiled BASIC (petspeed)
>
> I did try using c1541 and its unlynx command, but it doesn't like the
> files the way Ken Ross packed them.  They appear to have a BASIC stub
> at the front telling you to use Lynx, which is likely confusing c1541
> (I never did a lot with compressed files on Commodore machines - just
> not enough savings to make it worth the hassle, like now).  Maybe
> there's a way to trim them manually, but I'll probably just use VICE
> and xpet to do the extraction.

I tried the A0 lynx images with lynx8017.gt and it seems to extract
fine. The readme at the tripod site says that disks usually are 8050
format, but atleast the A0 lynx files fit d64 files. (I extracted the
two lynx files to two separate d64 images but it seems to fit one d64
disk. I guess that the split is there so anyone with just one single
drive can extract the files even on a "d64" drive).

Btw I noticed that you cannot have more than one "big" disk drive with
PET in VICE. If you select a drive with dual mechanisms for one unit
you can only choose 2031, 1001 or "none" for the other unit.

> But at least I have those disk images I was after and that's a
> fantastic start.  Thanks for the archive.org link.  I get so few
> binaries that way that I don't check there first.

Although it's often like you describe, missing binaries, it's not that
uncommon for binaries to actually be there :)