6502 with logic sniffer

Didier Derny

In the past  (around 1981) I was using a 6502 connected to a logic analyser…

It was nice, I could trace the code executed by the 6502

(directly in 6502 assembler on a commodore 3000 connected to the analyser by IEEE-488.

I’m trying to do the same with a logic sniffer with 32 channels

We were using phi2 as external clock

I don’t find anything clear on external clock on the logic sniffer

Except that it’s on the CKI pin   (no idea if it is 5v compatible) no idea of the real connection…

Any idea on how to connect the external clock

Thanks

--

Didier

Re: 6502 with logic sniffer

David Wood-2
Are you using the rising edge of phi2 as your clock trigger?  Incorrect polarity could cause the LA to sample at the wrong moment.

I did some hardware debugging some time ago, but didn't have the will to pull my ancient HP analyzer out, so I used a four channel oscilloscope to do the job.  Details and photos are on my blog at https://jbevren.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/wth-is-this-thing-doing/ where you can see the 'scope screen shots to determine which edge of phi2 to trigger on.

-David

PS: Thanks again Jim for advising me on this scope ages ago.  It still serves me well. :-)

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 2:01 AM, didier derny <[hidden email]> wrote:

In the past  (around 1981) I was using a 6502 connected to a logic analyser…

It was nice, I could trace the code executed by the 6502

(directly in 6502 assembler on a commodore 3000 connected to the analyser by IEEE-488.

I’m trying to do the same with a logic sniffer with 32 channels

We were using phi2 as external clock

I don’t find anything clear on external clock on the logic sniffer

Except that it’s on the CKI pin   (no idea if it is 5v compatible) no idea of the real connection…

Any idea on how to connect the external clock

Thanks

--

Didier

RE: 6502 with logic sniffer

Didier Derny

I’m trying to reproduce what I had  in 1981

The beast was really expensive but relatively simple

Something similar to this one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paratronics-Logic-State-Analyzer-Model-532-Rack-11-/140973023317

All the lines where connected to the 6502  address/data/controls

we also had an external trigger and an external clock (we were using the external clock)

the external trigger was really useful to crack a dongle J

we used the external clock (connected directly to the 6502 without any external hardware)

so I guess we were using phi2 falling edge…  (I have to try)

then we had a software on a commodore 3000 [directly connected to the logic analyser via IEEE-488] to disassemble the code captured by the logic analyzer

recently I was using a 16 channels zeroplus but not enough channels for a 6502

so I bought a logic sniffer

if it works I’ll try to write a module to disassemble the code

Re: 6502 with logic sniffer

Uffe Jakobsen
Administrator

On 2015-01-02 13:05, didier derny wrote:
> I’m trying to reproduce what I had  in 1981
>
> then we had a software on a commodore 3000 [directly connected to the
> logic analyser via IEEE-488] to disassemble the code captured by the
> logic analyzer

A Commodore 3000 - what model is that ? given that you mention the year
1981 it is not an Amiga 3000 as it came out in 1990

> recently I was using a 16 channels zeroplus but not enough channels for
> a 6502
>
> so I bought a logic sniffer

A logic sniffer is a quite generic term - are you referring to a
specific product ?

/Uffe

RE: 6502 with logic sniffer

Didier Derny
To tell the truth for me amiga never existed,
Commodore ended with the departure of Jack Tramiel in 1984...

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_International#mediaviewer/File:CBM3008_01_mod02_res.jpg

I think I found how to rebuild the same thing with a logic sniffer
My main problem is to know the voltage that the CKI pin can accept

I guess it's not 5.v but I'm not sure if it's 3.3v or less

--
Didier

On 2015-01-02 20:41, didier derny wrote:
> To tell the truth for me amiga never existed,
> Commodore ended with the departure of Jack Tramiel in 1984...
>
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_International#mediaviewer/File:CBM3008_01_mod02_res.jpg

Aaah, I see - I've never seen a CBM3xxx model - only the
CBM2001,40xx,80xx models

> I think I found how to rebuild the same thing with a logic sniffer
> My main problem is to know the voltage that the CKI pin can accept
>
> I guess it's not 5.v but I'm not sure if it's 3.3v or less

Still, if you are looking for help on the list - it would help if you
told what brand of logic sniffer you are using...

/Uffe

RE: 6502 with logic sniffer

Didier Derny
The cbm3000 had a relatively short life around 1979/1980

I'm using this product: http://dangerousprototypes.com/open-logic-sniffer/

I give up this product is hell, loosing the usb serial port (need reboot each time it is disconnected)
The documentation is poor, browsing a lot of web pages to find some elementary information's

Apparently the vhdl code for this specific model is not available
(I wanted to check the .ucf file to find the information I needed)

It is brand new but one channel is not responding...

Finally I lost my time and my money...

I should have bought a 32 channels zeroplus
I have a 16 channels it works wonderfully

On 2015-01-02 20:41, didier derny wrote:
> To tell the truth for me amiga never existed, Commodore ended with the
> departure of Jack Tramiel in 1984...
>
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_International#mediaviewer/File:
> CBM3008_01_mod02_res.jpg

Aaah, I see - I've never seen a CBM3xxx model - only the CBM2001,40xx,80xx models

> I think I found how to rebuild the same thing with a logic sniffer My
> main problem is to know the voltage that the CKI pin can accept
>
> I guess it's not 5.v but I'm not sure if it's 3.3v or less

Still, if you are looking for help on the list - it would help if you told what brand of logic sniffer you are using...

/Uffe

Re: 6502 with logic sniffer

Uffe Jakobsen
Administrator

On 2015-01-02 23:09, didier derny wrote:
> The cbm3000 had a relatively short life around 1979/1980
>
> I'm using this product: http://dangerousprototypes.com/open-logic-sniffer/
>
> I give up this product is hell, loosing the usb serial port (need reboot each time it is disconnected)
> The documentation is poor, browsing a lot of web pages to find some elementary information's

Aah, yes the Open Bench LogicSniffer, I have one of those.

Are you using the OLS java GUI ?

I have no serial port problems on linux - but guessing from your
mail-client I guess that you are on Windows.

> Apparently the vhdl code for this specific model is not available
> (I wanted to check the .ucf file to find the information I needed)

Yes, It seems to closed source - there seems to be no development on its
features (and bugs) - it is a dead project.

Compared to other commercial LAs its proces is extremely low for up to
32 channels.

It has some nice features- up to 200Mhz sampling - *BUT* only 216k
sampling memory (not so nice). That is compensated by its ability to do
RLE compression of its samples - which often can save you especially
with low-frequency retro systems like CBMs where it in theory can stream
the RLE samples to the host system "forever"...

> It is brand new but one channel is not responding...

You do know that it is only the first 16 channels that are buffered and
thereby 5-volt tolerant ?

The next 16 channels are unbuffered - and hence they are not 5 volt
tolerant.

For the last 16 channels to become 5 volt tolerant you need the OLS
input buffer wing - a separate add on.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Logic-Sniffer-16bit-Input-Buffer-Wing-p-721.html

Anyway I've never used the clock-input pins on the OLS - but a (quick)
look at the traces on the PCB shows that they are running directly to
the FPGA - and hence I suspect that neither of CKI,TRGI,TRGO are 5v
tolerant either...

/Uffe

Re: 6502 with logic sniffer

Jim Brain
On 1/2/2015 4:35 PM, Uffe Jakobsen wrote:

> On 2015-01-02 23:09, didier derny wrote:
>> The cbm3000 had a relatively short life around 1979/1980
>>
>> I'm using this product:
>> http://dangerousprototypes.com/open-logic-sniffer/
>>
>> I give up this product is hell, loosing the usb serial port (need
>> reboot each time it is disconnected)
>> The documentation is poor, browsing a lot of web pages to find some
>> elementary information's
>>

> Aah, yes the Open Bench LogicSniffer, I have one of those.
>
> Are you using the OLS java GUI ?
>
> I have no serial port problems on linux - but guessing from your
> mail-client I guess that you are on Windows.
>
>> Apparently the vhdl code for this specific model is not available
>> (I wanted to check the .ucf file to find the information I needed)
>
> Yes, It seems to closed source - there seems to be no development on
> its features (and bugs) - it is a dead project.
>
> Compared to other commercial LAs its proces is extremely low for up to
> 32 channels.
>
> It has some nice features- up to 200Mhz sampling - *BUT* only 216k
> sampling memory (not so nice). That is compensated by its ability to
> do RLE compression of its samples - which often can save you
> especially with low-frequency retro systems like CBMs where it in
> theory can stream the RLE samples to the host system "forever"...
How does that compare to the LWLA1034?  I bought one a few months back,
but have not done much with it.  It was USD$70.00, so I thought it worth
a gamble.  It seems to work fine, all channels are 0-5V capable.

Re: 6502 with logic sniffer

Uffe Jakobsen
Administrator

Hi Jim,

On 2015-01-03 02:48, Jim Brain wrote:

> On 1/2/2015 4:35 PM, Uffe Jakobsen wrote:
>>

>> On 2015-01-02 23:09, didier derny wrote:
>>> The cbm3000 had a relatively short life around 1979/1980
>>>
>>> I'm using this product:
>>> http://dangerousprototypes.com/open-logic-sniffer/
>>>
>>> I give up this product is hell, loosing the usb serial port (need
>>> reboot each time it is disconnected)
>>> The documentation is poor, browsing a lot of web pages to find some
>>> elementary information's
>>>

>> Aah, yes the Open Bench LogicSniffer, I have one of those.
>>
>> Are you using the OLS java GUI ?
>>
>> I have no serial port problems on linux - but guessing from your
>> mail-client I guess that you are on Windows.
>>
>>> Apparently the vhdl code for this specific model is not available
>>> (I wanted to check the .ucf file to find the information I needed)
>>
>> Yes, It seems to closed source - there seems to be no development on
>> its features (and bugs) - it is a dead project.
>>
>> Compared to other commercial LAs its proces is extremely low for up to
>> 32 channels.
>>
>> It has some nice features- up to 200Mhz sampling - *BUT* only 216k
>> sampling memory (not so nice). That is compensated by its ability to
>> do RLE compression of its samples - which often can save you
>> especially with low-frequency retro systems like CBMs where it in
>> theory can stream the RLE samples to the host system "forever"...
> How does that compare to the LWLA1034?  I bought one a few months back,
> but have not done much with it.  It was USD$70.00, so I thought it worth
> a gamble.  It seems to work fine, all channels are 0-5V capable.

I've never tried the LWLA1034 - but I've been thinking of getting one.

Looking at their features they are quite similar:
* 32 vs 34 channels
* 200Mhz vs 125Mhz (both more that enough for me)
* external clock input
* external trigger input
* Only OLS seems to have external trigger output

But the LWLA1034 seem a much more real product compared to the DIY state
of the OLS. The OLS has no casing/enclosure available - it comes with
only 16 buffered/5volt tolerant channels - the last 16 needs a
DIY-solder-on extension wing before they become buffered/5volt tolerant.
The cost of the input buffer wing and finding a suitable enclosure
almost exceeds the cost of the OLS device it self.
Also the OLS trigger in-/output and clock input does not seem to be 5v
tolerant at all.

The OLS appears to the host as a USB serial port - that is nice and
portable - but it sets limitations on the streaming capabilities as the
max transferrate is 921600 baud - even though RLE compression is applied
before transmission.

The LWLA1034 seems to present itself as multiple "real" USB end points -
that will (should) improve its streaming capabilities - but I'm unable
to see if "endless" streaming is supported by its firmware. But I would
believe that it is.

Both are low-end and low-cost devices - but I think that the LWLA1034 is
the clear winner here - you did the right thing Jim :-)

Disclaimer conclusions above are purely teoretical - they are based on
comparing the specs for the two devices - and my hands on knowledge of
the OLS device.

Are you using the native GUI for LWLA1034 ? or are you using the sigrok
source project ?

/Uffe

Re: 6502 with logic sniffer

Jim Brain
On 1/2/2015 9:31 PM, Uffe Jakobsen wrote:

> Are you using the native GUI for LWLA1034 ? or are you using the
> sigrok source project ?
Currently, using the native GUI, but the sigrok looks impressive,
especially the cli option.  There is a bug they are working on fixing
right now with the lwla1034, so I am waiting to try it out.

RE: 6502 with logic sniffer

On 2015-01-02 23:09, didier derny wrote:

>> The cbm3000 had a relatively short life around 1979/1980
>>
>> I'm using this product:
>> http://dangerousprototypes.com/open-logic-sniffer/
>>
>> I give up this product is hell, loosing the usb serial port (need
>> reboot each time it is disconnected) The documentation is poor,
>> browsing a lot of web pages to find some elementary information's
>>

> Aah, yes the Open Bench LogicSniffer, I have one of those.
>
> Are you using the OLS java GUI ?

Yes I'm using OLS

> I have no serial port problems on linux - but guessing from your mail-client I guess that you are on > Windows.
>
>> Apparently the vhdl code for this specific model is not available (I
>> wanted to check the .ucf file to find the information I needed)
>
> Yes, It seems to closed source - there seems to be no development on its features (and bugs) - it is > a dead project.

It's a particularity  of "open" project, they are often  tightly "closed"

>> Compared to other commercial LAs its proces is extremely low for up to
>> 32 channels.
>>
>>It has some nice features- up to 200Mhz sampling - *BUT* only 216k sampling memory (not so nice). >>That is compensated by its ability to do RLE compression of its samples - which often can save you >>especially with low-frequency retro systems like CBMs where it in theory can stream the RLE samples >>to the host system "forever"...

The one I was using in 1981 could only record 256 events x 32 channels
Most of the time it was sufficient to debug [or crack a dongle in 10mn] (was not the official use) :)

The nice part was that it was very easy to use the external clock / external trigger
It also had IEEE-488 to transfer the data to another computer.

>> It is brand new but one channel is not responding...
>>

> You do know that it is only the first 16 channels that are buffered and thereby 5-volt tolerant ?
>
> The next 16 channels are unbuffered - and hence they are not 5 volt tolerant.
>
> For the last 16 channels to become 5 volt tolerant you need the OLS input buffer wing - a separate > add on.

Yes, I've bought and installed the add on
I traced the missing signal, it cross the level shifter correctly and reach the fpga

>> http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Logic-Sniffer-16bit-Input-Buffer-Wing-p-721.html

> Anyway I've never used the clock-input pins on the OLS - but a (quick) look at the traces on the PCB > shows that they are running directly to the FPGA - and hence I suspect that neither of CKI,TRGI,TRGO > are 5v tolerant either...

That’s what I thought, but I've not found any clear information I checked CKO I found 1.6v

Anyway I  contact seedstudio for the failing signal
And I move to something else

I'll try my project in a few weeks with another logic analyser

/Uffe

RE: 6502 with logic sniffer

>On 1/2/2015 4:35 PM, Uffe Jakobsen wrote:
>>

>> On 2015-01-02 23:09, didier derny wrote:
>>> The cbm3000 had a relatively short life around 1979/1980
>>>
>>> I'm using this product:
>>> http://dangerousprototypes.com/open-logic-sniffer/
>>>
>>> I give up this product is hell, loosing the usb serial port (need
>>> reboot each time it is disconnected) The documentation is poor,
>>> browsing a lot of web pages to find some elementary information's
>>>

>> Aah, yes the Open Bench LogicSniffer, I have one of those.
>>
>> Are you using the OLS java GUI ?
>>
>> I have no serial port problems on linux - but guessing from your
>> mail-client I guess that you are on Windows.
>>
>>> Apparently the vhdl code for this specific model is not available (I
>>> wanted to check the .ucf file to find the information I needed)
>>
>> Yes, It seems to closed source - there seems to be no development on
>> its features (and bugs) - it is a dead project.
>>
>> Compared to other commercial LAs its proces is extremely low for up to
>> 32 channels.
>>
>> It has some nice features- up to 200Mhz sampling - *BUT* only 216k
>> sampling memory (not so nice). That is compensated by its ability to
>> do RLE compression of its samples - which often can save you
>> especially with low-frequency retro systems like CBMs where it in
>> theory can stream the RLE samples to the host system "forever"...
>How does that compare to the LWLA1034?  I bought one a few months back, but have not done much with >it.  It was USD$70.00, so I thought it worth a gamble.  It seems to work fine, all channels are 0-5V >capable.

Hi Jim,

I checked for another product almost for the entire day yesterday...
I found the LWLA1034 and I ordered one
It also has a external trigger and external clock

I have to wait a few weeks to restart my project

Re: 6502 with logic sniffer

Jim Brain
On 1/3/2015 1:56 AM, didier derny wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I checked for another product almost for the entire day yesterday...
> I found the LWLA1034 and I ordered one
> It also has a external trigger and external clock
>
> I have to wait a few weeks to restart my project

Well, as I noted, I have not done much with it as yet.  I have a Logic8
(and it's a super product), but wanted more channels and the price was
too good to pass up.  Though I have no doubt the Logic16 is a great
product (Mike N has one, I know), the LWLA was twice the channels and
1/5 the cost, as I recall.

That said, I'm probably going to buy more pods for my 1650B sitting
here.  It has 80 lines, 5 clocks, and both external trigger input and
output.  RS232 and IEEE 488 interfaces as well.  Alas, it has but 1kB
per channel of memory, so it's mainly good for when you need to see
something quickly on a lot of channels.

RE: 6502 with logic sniffer

Didier Derny
Almost the same for me,  the 16 channel zeroplus is ok but not enough channels
I'll try sigrok and if it's possible I'll develop a module for the 6502 and the 6809
The is one already existing for the Z80

I'll tell you  :)

--
Didier