2164A DRAM

traymond
Hi Gerrit,

Below was what you mentioned to me about DRAM I found your old message below, BTW I will try jumpering the 2164 as you mentioned see what happens.
I think maybe the 2164A is more used in the U.S.A. :)
Thank you,

Terry Raymond
----------------------------
If you're in Germany, get 101 047 from www.pollin.de. That's a NOS GM71256-12 (41256), sells for 40 Cents and will work in a C64 if you connect Pin 1 to Pin 16. There is no reason why it shouldn't work in a C128 or any other system that uses 4164, as long as the DRAM controller supplies an 8Bit refresh (VIC and TED do).

Re: 2164A DRAM

Gerrit Heitsch
On 12/21/2016 10:55 PM, Terry Raymond wrote:

> Hi Gerrit,
>
> Below was what you mentioned to me about DRAM I found your old message
> below, BTW I will try jumpering the 2164 as you mentioned see what happens.
> I think maybe the 2164A is more used in the U.S.A. :)
> Thank you,
>
> Terry Raymond
> ----------------------------
> If you're in Germany, get 101 047 from www.pollin.de
> <http://www.pollin.de/>. That's a NOS GM71256-12 (41256), sells for 40
> Cents and will work in a C64 if you connect Pin 1 to Pin 16. There is no
> reason why it shouldn't work in a C128 or any other system that uses
> 4164, as long as the DRAM controller supplies an 8Bit refresh (VIC and
> TED do).

I tried to look up the 2164. All I could find is that those are 64Kx1
DRAMs, you don't need any modification for those in a C128 or C64.
Shortening Pin 1 with Pin 16 is only necessary for 256Kx1 DRAMs like the
41256 or I mentioned 71256 above.