1581 problem

Andrew Wiskow-2
I've got an issue with a 1581 drive, and I'm hoping one of you can help
me...

I have two 1581's...  Both of them have JiffyDOS installed.  One works
flawlessly...  The other one, not so much...  This problem drive will read,
write, and format just fine.  But every so often, when sending a load, save,
or DOS command, it'll respond with a DRIVE NOT READY error.  Every time this
happens, I eject the disk and reinsert it, and then it continues to work
just fine.  I've tried swapping out the power supply on this drive, but that
doesn't seem to fix the problem.  Any ideas?

-Andrew

Re: 1581 problem

raycomp
Andrew,

Have you done the J-Dos @ command after the error to read the error
message there?

--Ray

On Feb 28, 2007, at 2:09 PM, Andrew Wiskow wrote:

> I've got an issue with a 1581 drive, and I'm hoping one of you can
> help me...
>
> I have two 1581's...  Both of them have JiffyDOS installed.  One
> works flawlessly...  The other one, not so much...  This problem
> drive will read, write, and format just fine.  But every so often,
> when sending a load, save, or DOS command, it'll respond with a
> DRIVE NOT READY error.  Every time this happens, I eject the disk
> and reinsert it, and then it continues to work just fine.  I've
> tried swapping out the power supply on this drive, but that doesn't
> seem to fix the problem.  Any ideas?
>
> -Andrew

---
|Raymond C. Bryan  651-642-9890 vox  |  The battle is sometimes to
the   |
|Raymond Computer  651-642-9891 fax  |  small for the bigger they
are    |
|795 Raymond Ave   - email raycomp   |  the harder they
fall.            |
|St Paul MN  55114   at_visi_dot_com |     -- James Thurber
--           |
|USA               Amiga - Commodore
|                                   |
|  http://www.raycomp.com
|                                   |

Re: 1581 problem

Andrew Wiskow-2
Yes.  Like I said, it responds with a DRIVE NOT READY error.  Or, more
specifically, error #74.  The track and sector numbers listed after the
error always seem to be different...  probably depending on which file I'm
trying to load or save.

-Andrew

Re: 1581 problem

raycomp
The problem sounds similar to what, in my recollection, sometimes
happened on the 1541 when either the 74LS14 or the 7406, which are in
the iec serial input  lines, goes flaky.  (But it has been years
since I had such problem on my 'bench to fix.) To be certain an
o'scope on those chips would be needed.

--Ray

On Feb 28, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Andrew Wiskow wrote:

> Yes.  Like I said, it responds with a DRIVE NOT READY error.  Or,
> more specifically, error #74.  The track and sector numbers listed
> after the error always seem to be different...  probably depending
> on which file I'm trying to load or save.
>
> -Andrew
>

> -----Mensagem Original----- De: "RayBryan" <[hidden email]>

---
|Raymond C. Bryan  651-642-9890 vox  |  The battle is sometimes to
the   |
|Raymond Computer  651-642-9891 fax  |  small for the bigger they
are    |
|795 Raymond Ave   - email raycomp   |  the harder they
fall.            |
|St Paul MN  55114   at_visi_dot_com |     -- James Thurber
--           |
|USA               Amiga - Commodore
|                                   |
|  http://www.raycomp.com
|                                   |

Re: 1581 problem

William Levak-4

Try cleaning the head.

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, RayBryan wrote:

> The problem sounds similar to what, in my recollection, sometimes happened on
> the 1541 when either the 74LS14 or the 7406, which are in the iec serial
> input  lines, goes flaky.  (But it has been years since I had such problem on
> my 'bench to fix.) To be certain an o'scope on those chips would be needed.
>
> --Ray
>
> On Feb 28, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Andrew Wiskow wrote:
>
>> Yes.  Like I said, it responds with a DRIVE NOT READY error.  Or, more
>> specifically, error #74.  The track and sector numbers listed after the
>> error always seem to be different...  probably depending on which file I'm
>> trying to load or save.
>>
>> -Andrew
>>

>> -----Mensagem Original----- De: "RayBryan" <[hidden email]>

Re: 1581 problem

Andrew Wiskow-2
I tried cleaning both heads...  Still the same thing.  :-(

-Andrew

is this mailinglist a target for spammers?

Antitrack

Hi Dudes,

I ve got a big problem, but with spam. It seems that this mailing list is under
spam attack; otherwise I cannot explain the sudden rise of spam, because I've
never used this e-mail address for anything else but for the cbm-hackers-list.

Can anyone confirm my theory that we're under spam attack?

Yours
Alex

Re: is this mailinglist a target for spammers?

B Degnan
Alex,
Are you greylisting/blacklisting?  I had to do this with my ISP this
year.  It really made a difference.  Now a day, you almost have no choice.
Bill Degnan
degnanco.net (my ISP)

At 08:48 PM 3/2/2007 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi Dudes,
>
>I ve got a big problem, but with spam. It seems that this mailing list is
>under
>spam attack; otherwise I cannot explain the sudden rise of spam, because I've
>never used this e-mail address for anything else but for the cbm-hackers-list.
>
>Can anyone confirm my theory that we're under spam attack?
>
>Yours
>Alex

Re: is this mailinglist a target for spammers?

Marko Mäkelä-3
On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:48:27PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> I ve got a big problem, but with spam. It seems that this mailing list
> is under spam attack; otherwise I cannot explain the sudden rise of spam,
> because I've never used this e-mail address for anything else but for
> the cbm-hackers-list.

I don't think that this list accepts email from non-subscribers.
However, it is entirely possible that e-mail addresses have been
harvested from archived messages.  The archive at
http://www.softwolves.pp.se/misc/arkiv/cbm-hackers/
obscures the email addresses a little, but I guess that the bad
guys can program simple search&replace patterns.

> Can anyone confirm my theory that we're under spam attack?

If by "we" you mean Internet users, I can confirm that.  I remember
getting my first spam around 1993 or 1994.

Re: is this mailinglist a target for spammers?

B Degnan
You could greylist by IP of the email addresses, this way you block spoofed
addresses.  I know that this is not a cbm-hacker topic, but I can provide
specific details if anyone wants them on how to do this with a sendmail server.

btw - I do not get any spam as you have described, but ling.gu.se is
greylisted on my mailserver, dynamically, and can only come through the one
location at a time.  There is a delay when the IP's change, but usually
this is not an issue.

Bill

At 10:16 PM 3/2/2007 +0200, you wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:48:27PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> > I ve got a big problem, but with spam. It seems that this mailing list
> > is under spam attack; otherwise I cannot explain the sudden rise of spam,
> > because I've never used this e-mail address for anything else but for
> > the cbm-hackers-list.
>
>I don't think that this list accepts email from non-subscribers.
>However, it is entirely possible that e-mail addresses have been
>harvested from archived messages.  The archive at
>http://www.softwolves.pp.se/misc/arkiv/cbm-hackers/
>obscures the email addresses a little, but I guess that the bad
>guys can program simple search&replace patterns.
>
> > Can anyone confirm my theory that we're under spam attack?
>
>If by "we" you mean Internet users, I can confirm that.  I remember
>getting my first spam around 1993 or 1994.
>
>         Marko
>
>        Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

RE: is this mailinglist a target for spammers?

ruud.baltissen
Hallo Alex,

> Can anyone confirm my theory that we're under spam attack?

I have two addresses where the list is sent to and the second one is almost SPAM free for more then two years; one or two emails a day, My other private address receives about 30 a day. I don't know about this ABP address as the company uses a filter.

--
     ___
    / __|__

De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, verzoeken wij u contact op te nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Verder verzoeken wij u in dat geval dit e-mailbericht te vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand openbaar te maken. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste, onvolledige dan wel ontijdige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor daarbij overgebrachte virussen.

Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP is gevestigd te Heerlen en ingeschreven bij de Kamer van Koophandel Zuid Limburg onder nummer: 41074000

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail; please delete in this case the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person. We don't accept liability for any errors, omissions, delays of receipt or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Stichting Pensioenfonds ABP, having its registered office at Heerlen, is registered in the Traderegister of the Chamber of Commerce Zuid Limburg (Maastricht), the Netherlands, registration number: 41074000

Re: is this mailinglist a target for spammers?

MagerValp-2

AT> I ve got a big problem, but with spam. It seems that this mailing
AT> list is under spam attack; otherwise I cannot explain the sudden
AT> rise of spam, because I've never used this e-mail address for
AT> anything else but for the cbm-hackers-list.

MM> I don't think that this list accepts email from non-subscribers.

It doesn't. Spam sent to the list, that doesn't get caught in the
gu.se spam filters, bounces.

MM> However, it is entirely possible that e-mail addresses have been
MM> harvested from archived messages. The archive at
MM> http://www.softwolves.pp.se/misc/arkiv/cbm-hackers/ obscures the
MM> email addresses a little, but I guess that the bad guys can
MM> program simple search&replace patterns.

I read an article a while ago that mentioned that modern spam
harvesters can defeat common attempts to hide addresses. In this
particular case though, the cbm-hackers archive is not the only place
where Antitrack's address is published:

  http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:Sf4Khttc-nsJ:www.c64.com/scene_display_interview.php%3Finterview%3D132+Antitrack%40networld.at

--
  _|___|_   +   .  +     .     +         .  Per Olofsson, arkadspelare