1581 / 720 KB-drive

g.j.p.a.a.baltissen
Hallo Frank,

You once wrote that you were trying to connect an 1.44 MB-drive to a 1581. Last
days I tried to connect a 720 KB-drive to my 1581 but didn't succeed. Whenever
you give a command, the motor starts spinning but, depending on the place of
the DriveSelect-jumper, the LED in the front of the drive does not light up or
does this continiously. But not on and off as the original drive. I could
connect the signal for the motor to the DS but I don't think this is the
soulution. Can you, or anybody else, help me with this?

Thanks!

Groetjes, Ruud

-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

Re: 1581 / 720 KB-drive

MagerValp

Ruud> Hallo Frank, You once wrote that you were trying to connect an
Ruud> 1.44 MB-drive to a 1581. Last days I tried to connect a 720
Ruud> KB-drive to my 1581 but didn't succeed. Whenever you give a
Ruud> command, the motor starts spinning but, depending on the place
Ruud> of the DriveSelect-jumper, the LED in the front of the drive
Ruud> does not light up or does this continiously. But not on and off
Ruud> as the original drive. I could connect the signal for the motor
Ruud> to the DS but I don't think this is the soulution. Can you, or
Ruud> anybody else, help me with this?

I think there's info on aminet on how to convert a 720 kB PC mechanism
to fit an Amiga. The Amiga and the 1581 uses the same mechanism. Look
in hard/hack.

--
    ___          .     .  .         .       . +  .         .      o
  _|___|_   +   .  +     .     +         .   .  Per Olofsson, konstnär

Re: 1581 / 720 KB-drive

Nicolas Welte-2
MagerValp wrote:

> I think there's info on aminet on how to convert a 720 kB PC mechanism
> to fit an Amiga. The Amiga and the 1581 uses the same mechanism. Look
> in hard/hack.

Yes, but it may be even easier for the 1581. The 1581 doesn't make use
of the READY interface line, therefore you don't need to emulate it.
Just switch the drive to DS0 and connect the disk change signal properly
according to that description.

I'm also pretty sure the LED on the drive mech won't give any useful
signals, since it only reflects the drive select line (more or less).
But the 1581 status LEDs are controlled directly by CIA port lines.

Nicolas
-
This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail [hidden email].

Re: 1581 / 720 KB-drive

Geoff Oltmans
MagerValp wrote:

> I think there's info on aminet on how to convert a 720 kB PC mechanism
> to fit an Amiga. The Amiga and the 1581 uses the same mechanism. Look
> in hard/hack.

Yeah, all you have to do is make a special floppy cable. Simply swap
pins 2 and 34 (I actually swapped pins 1&2 with 33&34 to give the
connector more than one wire to bite on).

Works on an Amiga anyway, don't see why it shouldn't work on a 1581. Oh
yeah, I believe the other stipulation is that the drive be a high
density drive.  Not a big deal. HD 1.44MB floppy drives can be had for
about $15 US.

*Geoff!*
-